For Sonal Kalra,

A few days ago while decluttering my room I discovered this newspaper clipping deserted in a corner with my old journals. It instantly took me back to the time when I was obsessed with reading and writing (and how all that just faded away once I reached high school).

Read Metro Maniacs, Thanks Very Much!

So, now that I've regained my passion for writing and have complete autonomy over the content, this post is dedicated to the person who first kindled my love of quirky writing—Sonal Kalra

Sonal Kalra
Sonal Kalra

It was back in 2013 when I was still in secondary school and had started the habit of reading newspapers. Visiting the library became a ritual, so my parents ended up subscribing to the Hindustan Times for me and their extremely grateful child, since then, found contentment in reading newspapers every day after reaching home from school.

I was so fond of learning new things, especially new words, and HT became the perfect source for me. But what made subscribing to the newspaper even more interesting was receiving the Sunday copy, which included my favourite column— A Calmer You by Sonal Kalra. Every Sunday I would wake up extra early just to read that column. It was always an engaging read. The colloquialism, the quirks, the use of memes, and the train of thought itself made her column stand out for me. 
 
*****
Here's a funny story:
This one time, whilst attempting and struggling to copy her writing style and having my write-ups rejected multiple times by the school editorial team, I went on to the extent of getting her column published in our school magazine under MY NAME! But... I guess... I was not the only HT reader there and they realized I was a fraud * chuckles *
Well, I would be lying if I said I regret doing that. I was young and fangirling okay? okay. 
*****

Years later, I no longer have access to Hindustan Times owing to its unavailability in the area we now live in, but I follow her on Twitter and she continues to exhibit the same charm with her tweets (though in fewer words).
 
Some of her tweets:

Her writing gives out a lot about her personality. She even makes being awkward look so cool and normal, and as a socially awkward person, I find famous people who are unapologetically their awkward selves really appealing and relatable. Some day I wish to reach a position like hers where people, instead of frowning over my awkwardness, just accept me the way I am.

Comments

  1. Kya baat hai :)) Thank you, Sheema. Much love, Sonal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're an inspiration. Thank you ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  2. So nice...Another fangirl (khushbu) of Sonal Kalra..☺️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will continue reading ๐Ÿซถ๐Ÿฝ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sheena..Sonal is truly an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. ❤️๐Ÿ”ฅ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular on Dark Matter

MIND DRAFT

Living the Easy Way Out; Dear Zindagi